Homepage. Biography. Discography. Media. Galleries. Brad Delp ~ In Memoriam. Contact Barry Goudreau.

Welcome to BarryGoudreau.com
The OFFICIAL website for former Boston guitarist, Barry Goudreau!


I remember having a keen interest in music from an early age, standing in the back seat of my mother's car, jumping up and down to the sounds of Elvis and Roy Orbison. This was pre-seat belts of course! I decided I wanted to play guitar and asked my parents to buy me one. They felt it was just a phase I was going through and refused. By the time I was eleven years old, they had given in and borrowed and acoustic guita.r from a friend and let me take lessons. As the song goes, I played it until my fingers bled, and they realized I was serious, and had the drive to continue. They bought me my first guitar, a white '62 Fender Stratocaster. Boy, I wish I still had that one! The first time I played guitar in front of and audience was at a church affair. I played "Jingle Bell Rock".

At age 15 I joined band with Sib Hashian on drums, Johnny V, the other guitar player, seemed to know every song there was. He would often call out a key and a song title, count it off, and off we would go. It was a real learning experience. We would sometimes play in a nightclub 7 days a week, 7 sets a night. The go-go dancers were very friendly though. Sib and I are still playing together to this day, although the venues have changed.

It was around this time that I met Fran Sheehan and Brad Delp. Fran's house was the place musicians went to and jam. We had some great times there, refining our chops until the wee hours. I'm sure the neighbors didn't appreciate it as much as we did. I met Brad when I auditioned for his band. The guitar player had decided to leave and brought me there as his replacement. Brad sang Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown." I had never heard anybody sing like that before, I will never forget it. Unfortunately, I did not get the gig.

When I started college I tried to put music aside to concentrate on my studies in Geology. That didn't last long though and soon I had a band with an old high school friend. I was at Boston University and he was across the river at MIT. We practiced in the basement of his fraternity house and played their parties. This was the real "Animal House!" We decided to add a keyboard player, and I put an ad in the Boston Phoenix. Tom Scholz answered the ad. He had just graduated from MIT with a master's degree in 5 years and was looking to do something musical outside the corporate world he had entered.

Although Tom joined as the keyboard player, he was picking up guitar quickly and was starting to write songs. The first song he wrote that we played was a piece that would become "Foreplay". We soon were looking to record and since Tom had a "real" job, he began to finance it. The first song we recorded in the studio was "San Francisco Day" which would later become "Hitch A Ride" on the first Boston record. To defray the costs of recording Tom began to put together his own studio. We worked with a couple of different singers through this time, with mixed results. I remembered having auditioned for Brad, and arranged to have him meet Tom and me at a club on Revere Beach for an afternoon jam session. The first song we ever played together was the Alman Brothers song "Whipping Post" with me on guitar and Tom on the Hammond organ and Brad singing. It was magical!

Eventually we put together a demo tape, and brought it to New York to shop for a record contract. I remember sitting in waiting rooms, not able to get past the receptionist. I think it was these several years of constant rejection that drove Tom to continue to refine the songs and recordings to a point where they could no longer be denied. The fact that both of our original managers were radio promotion guys certainly helped. They had radio convinced it was a hit, before anyone had ever heard it! Of course it didn't hurt that the songs and recordings were everything they promised.

We were signed to Epic Records in 1975. The first album was released in August 1976. We had hopes that the record would sell 200 thousand copied, because that was what we felt we had to sell in order to do another record. When the record sold that many in the first few weeks, we knew we had arrived.

We began to do shows that were booked before the record had come out. They were mostly in night clubs. There was such a buzz about the band and the record, that the lines often circled for blocks. It was really trial by fire. We didn't have the equipment we needed, or the personnel to run it. We hired people on the spot to fill out our road crew. Early on we even set up our own gear. That would soon change as we quickly went from playing in nightclubs to opening in arenas, to headlining arenas, all in the course of 6 months. The pressure was enormous on us, but our first tour was everything a rock player could ever ask for.

Before the first tour was even over, the label was looking for another record. They wanted to know when it would be delivered. We hadn't even thought about it! Again the pressure was on, but this time it was to follow up the most successful debut album of all time. I had hoped that this would mean that I could be more involved in the writing and recording process, but it didn't work out that way. Tom became more isolated. When the second album was released, Tom felt as though he was turning it over before it was ready. I remember going on for our first show of the second tour without having played through the whole set. The pressure was on again. The camaraderie and good vibe of the first tour was gone. By the end of our second tour it was obvious that things would never be the same.

After the second tour ended in Europe in the fall of 1979, Tom had a group meeting and told us he was taking a year off, and suggested that if we wanted to do another project, solo record or whatever, now was the time.

Although I hadn't really thought too much about it before, I decided to try a solo record. I began to write some songs with Brad. The ideas came quickly and soon we had several songs. We brought them to Tom to see what he thought. To my surprise he asked to produce the record. I had hoped he would say he had an interest in using the songs for a Boston record. Brad and I felt that the record label would not allow Tom to produce a solo record when they were waiting for another Boston record. We continued writing. It was at this time I met Fran Cosmo through a crew member. He contributed several songs and lead vocals to the record. It was the beginning of a long relationship. The record was done in 6 months and released in 9 months. I felt I still had enough time to promote it and still be in the year long time frame. When the album was released the label ran an ad campaign that said "millions of people have heard his guitar, we would like to introduce you to its owner". Tom felt as though they were promoting me as the "force" behind Boston and was furious. I suppose the fact that both Sib and Brad appeared on it, made Boston comparisons inevitable. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight,I probably would have handled things differently. The album was pulled, and Tom and my relationship suffered.

In January 1980 Tom called a group meeting and asked me to leave the band. I felt as though I had no support in the band and I needed to leave. The band thought I wanted out. In recent months Tom Scholz and I have been in touch again after more than 20 years. I think the most difficult part for me has been realizing that if I had taken the time to cool off and gotten back in touch, things might have turned out differently.

In 1985 Fran Cosmo and I hitched up again and began Orion the Hunter. We enlisted Bruce Smith, a bass player that Fran had been working with, along with former Heart drummer Michael DeRosier. I had met Michael on the road at one of the many shows we did with Heart. Keyboardist Brian Maes rounded out the band when it was time to tour. We recorded a record for CBS, toured opening for Aerosmith on their Back in the saddle tour, and had a video on MTV. The band didn't have the success we had expected and when it came time to follow up with a new record, the band folded. It was back to the drawing board again.

Brad and I had stayed in touch through this time and had continued writing songs. He was my brother-in-law after all!

I had worked with a couple other singers during this time, but it was Brad I really wanted to work with. In 1990 Brad left Boston to record and tour with our new band, RTZ. Brian Maes joined as keyboardist, and he introduced me to drummer David Stefanelli and former New Man bassist Tim Archibald. In an ironic twist, Tom replaced Brad in Boston with singer Fran Cosmo. RTZ released a record on Warner Brothers and toured extensively. When it came time to follow up the first record, which hadn't achieved the success we had hoped for, and without a record label, spirits sagged and Brad left to return to Boston. The grunge era had bitten us in the ass. The demo recordings from before the release of RTZ and the demos for the follow up cd are available on the site. (Lost / Found)

In recent years I've produced two CDs with singer/guitarist Lisa Guyer and have done some shows with her to promote them. She's a talented artist I hope breaks through soon. I also sit in with bluesman James Montgomery from time to time as well as being a former member of Ernie and the Automatics with Sib Hashian, Tim Archibald and "car guy" Ernie Boch, Jr. As you can see by looking at the website, Brad and I maintained a good relationship and have recently done another record. The Delp/Goudreau cd is available on the site.

In 2006 with the 30th anniversary of the first Boston record coming up, Tom Scholz contacted me to send me the remasters of the first two Boston records, and his re- write of the credits for the two records. Not having listened to the records all the way through for quite some time, I pulled out my guitar and played along. I got an idea to write a new song that reflected on the sound and style of the first two albums and give a nod to the fans that had followed the band for so many years. I gave the musical track to Brad who wrote lyrics that effectively thanked fans for their then, thirty years of support. Old demons arose and any reconciliation between Tom and I ended. After Brad’s death, his family and I decided to re-record the song retaining Brad’s vocals and release it to the public. The song “Rockin’ Away” is available on i-Tunes.

In recent years, I have continued to play shows with my old friend and blues legend, James Montogomery. My childhood friend and Boston alumnus Sib Hashian and I have a band called “Dirty Water”, preforming songs from the “Boston” catalog. But I’m really looking forward to the release of a Cd by my new band, Barry Goudreau’s ENGINE ROOM. I’ll have a new website coming on-line soon dedicated to the new band. See you out on the road!

My best,